October 08, 2008

My Family- Part II

This is a continuation of my prev blog

A much talked about shopping trip my parents took. It had been pouring in Muscat and my parents decided that they needed to go shopping. They left my sister and me in the house telling us to “study “. Perfectly normal I hear you say, well, read on.
When they got back, they rang the doorbell but no response.
So my dad pounded on the door, still no response. Our folks began calling our names loudly, if you know our parents you know how loud they can get, no response. While all this was going on, they turned out the electricity thinking might have been a gas leak and for all you know we might be lying unconscious in the house. They went to our downstairs neighbor (we were living on the first floor) and called the house. No response. Appa then got a “ladder “from the neighbors’ house, put it against the wall and climbed up onto our balcony. Luckily the balcony door was left open.
Guess what my dad found when he walked in.
Both my sister and I were fast asleep, on the couches, in the living room, very much unaware of the panic we had just caused. And just so you know how “passed out “ we were, the door that they pounded on, was right next to the living room and the phone they had rung on, was between the two couches we were sleeping on.
All I can say is, “I am glad I lived to tell the tale!”

All of us, desperately, hoping that India would win, the cricket match it was playing that day, as Appa would take us out for dinner IF they won.

Amma, used to message every other day when I was working at Pondy. She would ask me to get online and when I used to tell her I was busy, she would ask me to let her know the time etc etc. Now adays, I have computer in front of me for most of the day. Till date, I am yet to receive a message asking me to get on chat !!

Playing dumb charades with my folks especially Appa. If ever you want to watch a game that will reduce you to tears (only because you are laughing so much) let me know. I shall invite you to our next family games night. Here’s a hint: ask him to mime “Coma”.

The trips we took as a family when we used to come down from Muscat for the summer holidays. Having family scattered all over Kerala meant 2 things. My dad would have to drive all over and it also meant endless hours in the back of a Maruti Van. Those who have had that experience can sympathize with me. As children both my sister and I decided that we would grow up, get our license and take our parents around with THEM in the back seat. We grew up, we got our license and Appa sold the van … Smart man !!

As kids, when we had guest, we would end up sleeping on our parents’ bedroom floor. One night we discovered that we had water guns and decided to squirt our folks with it while pretending to sleep. We THOUGHT it would surprise them and Appa/ Amma would ask “water? Where is this water coming from?” (Silly kids!!) What we didn’t consider was the excellent hearing power Amma possess. Before we knew it, we were bombarded by pillows from either side and had Appa and Amma standing over us and well…. Need I say more???

No comments: