October 21, 2008

Carry on luggage :)

In case I haven’t already told you … I AM GOING HOME!! Yay!!

10 days of home food and TV and sleep. “Nice “I hear you say…. I agree!!

Once the decision was made to go back home, I began getting items to add to my list to take back. These items DONOT come all together but in e-mails strewn over the past 2 months. Which, I should say, is fine by me?

So this got me thinking of the various times we have gone back home and of the weird (according to the kids and husband) stuff we had to carry back.

We carried back chairs. Yes! You heard me right CHAIRS. These were chairs from Gujarat! These are chairs we CANNOT sit on. If you lean against it, they break and it’s too small for an adult to even contemplate sitting on it. As we were passing through the security check, the policeman there couldn’t help but ask me … “Don’t you have chairs in Muscat?”Answer:”sheepish grin”

We carried back a cradle. This apparently was the cradle Amma slept in. She had it cleaned, painted and polished. Not because there was going to be an addition to the family, but because in our house (according to Amma dearest) we lacked a cute table!! (REALLY???). With a glass slab on top, this “crable” (cradle + table; for the slow ones) sits in our living room.

We carried back a 2-3ft lamp (a.k.a”vellaku”) coz well the corridor lacked “something”
I am sure that we carried heaps more interesting stuff. I guess in the end it was definitely worth it coz we do have a lovely house with chairs we can’t sit in and lamps we don’t light!
I thought I better leave you with my current “take back to Muscat” list:
5 kgs Kerala Rice
2 kgs Idli Rice
½ kg Jangri
½ kg Ladoo
1 kg Muruku (it was ½ kg till Amma said “make it 1 so all in all you will have about 9 kgs worth of food to carry”)

And there is still 3 days remaining before I travel.

2 comments:

Krupa said...

according to kids and husband?? what did i miss???

Amri's World said...

nothing ... am referring ot my mother !! lol !! (kids (us) and husband(dad))