November 18, 2008

It is well ....

Horatio Sapafford was a 43yr old lawyer who lived in Chicago with his wife Anna and his 5 children.
In 1871, his only son died.
Few months later, the Great Chicago fire of 1871, consumed his real estate investments and he lost his entire life savings.
2 years later, Sapafford and his entire family decided to go on a holiday to Europe. However last minute business delayed Sapafford. He sent his wife and 4 daughters on the SS Ville Du Havre, promising to follow in a few days time.
The ship was struck by an iron sailing vessel and it sank in q2 minutes. 226 people were killed.
When the survivors landed in Europe, Anna Sapafford cabled her husband “Saved alone, what shall I do? “
He immediately left Chicago to go bring his wife home.
In the midst of his sorrow, when sailing near the place his daughters drowned, he wrote ….

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,

It is well, it is well, with my soul.
It is well, with my soul,

It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blessed assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!

My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

Why am I writing this?

Every day I stumble.
Every day I falter.
Some days I question. Even when I know I should not.
I don’t ever doubt him being there. Even then, I tend to double check…
After I heard this song in church on Friday, it stuck with me. I googled it, and that’s when I read the story behind this song. It got me thinking, if he could have such undying faith at one of the worst moments in his life …why can’t I?
That is the faith I seek.
The never ending, never shaking belief that no matter what he will be there and no matter what he will guide me through.

5 comments:

Lis said...

I love this hymn and the story behind it, always have.

It is well with my soul!

Deepa said...

This is one of my favorites too! The story behind it was one of my bedtime stories as a kid!!

I especially like the line "Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say "It is well..."

Just a reminder that in our own might, we can never come to terms with suffering or loss to the extent that we can say "it is well". Just being able to say that is something God teaches us as we learn to rely on Him!!

Amri's World said...

Lis: Yes .. ever since i figured out the story I was fasinated and moved...what faith !

Scatterbrain: I agree, and that's something I know I need to stop... I try to fight my own battles and try n recover from it on my own...how i need to learn to rely !!

Marcus said...

thanks amri, i really needed to read this.

Amri's World said...

Marki- :) ..glad i helped