January 17, 2012

I thought .............

The other day as I was working with my favorite Grade 1 student, the white board easel which another teacher was using, on the other side of the room, crashed to the ground.

This is the conversation that followed

Student: Oh my goodness!! (While running to the other side of the room )

Me: Wait!! Stop!! Where are you supposed to be?

Student: But Ms. Thomas

Me: No!! Where are you supposed to be? What are you supposed to be doing ?

Student: Sitting at the desk and working…. But… When I heard the crash I thought. Can I tell you what I think ?

Me: Do you think this conversation is important right now? In the middle of the activity?

Student: Yes! Of course!

(Without waiting for my response)

Student: See, When that sound came, I thought that the board fell on Ms.A, then Ms. A fell on the chair, that the chair broke and Ms. A and the chair fell on the desk. As the chair fell on the desk, I thought I heard the floor break and I thought that Ms. A will be falling into the next classroom (my classroom is on the 1st floor). So see Ms. Thomas, this is what I thought and when I thought that, I thought that I should go and see if there is a hole in the floor like I thought.

(After seeing my blank stare)

Student: Now, wasn’t that important?

No comments: